Tuesday 7 August 2012

Spoke Too Soon

Xenoblade again...

OK, so beating the Apocrypha Generator is easy enough, but then you're almost immediately dumped into another battle with a powered-up Egil/Yaldabaoth in which he not only attacks by himself, but summons several different kinds of drones. His attacks against the party are pretty deadly, but about halfway down his health bar, you receive a vision of Mechonis bringing down his sword upon Bionis, literally chopping it in half (the extent of the damage is not indicated by a number, but by infinity... and it's a one-hit-game-over type attack) and are given 2 minutes to destroy three generators surrounding Yaldabaoth. That's also easy enough, even while being attacked up drones (they seem to focus on whoever's attacking their master, and will walk right by as you slice up the generators) but, once they're out of the way and you're on the home straight - boss health about about 1/4 by this point - Egil unleashes his upgraded Mechon's full potential, and some even more deadly moves are used against you.

So far, I've tried that battle two or three times, and each time it ends the same way, at more or less the same point. I know I'm missing something - probably among the Monado Arts - but it's rather frustrating to be doing so well, only to be smashed into the ground by a move that comes without warning... Or, at least, no warning I've noticed so far...

In a fit of pique, I looked up the battle online, to see if any other players had advice... and, while I didn't find what I was looking for, I did learn that Yaldabaoth is not the final boss... there are several more to come... so I'm still not quite 'nearly finished' with Xenoblade Chronicles...

In other news, with one of my anti-virus subscriptions expiring today, I took the opportunity to try something new and different... only for the installation to fail. At least, it locked up at 82% while installing one particular component that I'm unlikely to need.

Of course, having cancelled the installation, it now tries to resume every time I restart, and has decided that there's a problem with the installer, so it fails now around 10%.

Weirdly, the base program seems to have installed and appears - according to itself - to be functional... so I'm not quite sure what to make of it. At some point, I shall drop the publishers a line, and ask what's going on...

No comments: