Sunday 6 November 2011

Tin out of Tin

I can remember glancing over Hergé's books back in middle school. The library had hard-bound versions of a good few Tintin stories and, while I certainly spent time with them, I don't think I ever really took in the stories. Whether it was the bland art style or the possibility that they were in French, I don't recall ever actually reading one.

Nevertheless, I was aware of Tintin by reputation and, having watched a documentary about the character earlier in the week, the exciting trailers for the CGI movie proved tempting. The cast includes such cinematic luminaries as Andy Serkis (for once not playing a bad guy), Daniel Craig, the nigh-inseperable Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and Jamie Bell as the titular reporter.

I'd also looked into the videogame, as it looked like an updated, licensed spin on the ancient, original 2D Prince of Persia... turns out that's exactly what it is, but rather too easy for most of the reviewers.

The film, meanwhile, is a classic Spielberg adventure romp, very much in the vein of Indiana Jones. Plenty of action, thrills and spills all the way through, as well as lots of laughs, most often at the expense of Captain Haddock.

Considering my youthful ambivalence toward the character, I very nearly passed up on seeing this film, but I'm now very glad I didn't.

No comments: