Saturday 24 September 2011

Bonkers Dream

Everyone gets weird dreams once in a while, but every so often they throw in something so completely bizarre, so utterly out-of-place, that it can be a quite unnerving experience. Not a nightmare, by a long shot, but unsettling enough to bring the dream - and the night's sleep - to a premature end.

Last night, I had a dream involving a former colleague who, many years ago, made up a story about me that led to several other colleagues treating me with suspicion or being outright scared of me. In this dream, I was hanging out with her and her new boyfriend - whose face I never saw, but she was all smiles and hanging off his arm all the time. There was a third other person, and I spent most of my time talking to her, but I have absolutely no recollection of who she was or what she looked like until the very end.

There was lots of wandering about in an open air location, then it seemed to leap to a train station. As we ascended the stairs from the platform toward the ticket hall, my companion observed that I seemed to have been keeping my distance from the other couple, despite the idea that we were all 'together'. I pointed out that the woman had done me a particularly nasty wrong on the past, and my companion countered that, while that may be the case, I was the one who hadn't moved on.

If that doesn't sound particularly disturbing, I should mention that, at this exact moment, I realised that my companion and the object of my ire were somehow one and the same.

Now you see why it woke me up, right?

No comments: