Sunday 19 July 2009

The Newest Member of the Family

Had the opportunity to meet my newborn (must remember: 9th July!) niece yesterday.

Bit of an odd experience, all told. There was a visiting time available on the Saturday afternoon, but my folks weren't going to be ready in time for the very start - at the time my sister had called them, they were only just getting ready for lunch. We decided to meet at 2pm, and take the hour-long train journey to Russell Square via the Piccadilly line. From there, it was only a short walk to Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Upon arrival, my mother phoned my sister, who shortly thereafter walked into the reception area to lead us back to the ward. My brother-in-law was there and managed to be in one of two states through most of our visit: asleep or watching TV. This pretty much sums him up whenever I see him, wherever we are...

I suspect I somewhat hogged the infant... My mother got to hold her first, but had to give her up for some tests to be performed. I got her next, and she stayed nestled in my arms - for quite some time before my sister suggested that our father might like a turn. After that, it was time for a feed (during which my sister - bizarrely - urged the barely conscious child to "concentrate" because she didn't seem to want to suck on the feeding bottle) and a change of nappy (lots of waiting around to see if that last spurt of poo was the final spurt of poo), and then I got her back for quite a while before we were politely asked to leave because everyone was tired.

I suspect, furthermore, that I had a big, dopey grin on my face for much of the time I held the baby. It felt like an awesome responsibility - not least because of the tubes and leads attached to her, and really didn't want to be accidentally detached - but a very comfortable one. She slept almost the whole time we were there, opening her eyes just long enough to register that she was being held by someone different. She barely made a sound other than yawning or sighing, and only gave the briefest hint of upset when help upright against my sister's shoulder after her post-feeding nappy change.

Seems like their 'hints' that they hoped she'd be a Sleepy Baby paid off. Then again, as my sister observed, with a husband like hers, it's no surprise that the baby sleeps so much. And when she observed that the baby has her looks and her husband's temperament, I hoped that she'd inherit her mother's modesty as well.

Next time I see her, I shall pass on my Slumblebee and Softimus Prime (I knew I bought them for a reason!)... and possibly a sensible teddy bear, if I can find one. Her first TransFormer will have to wait a couple of years, I think...

Today was a bit of a lazy day. I'd intended to upload the majority of my collection photos, but my slow computer failed me dramatically. I've got everything up to Galaxy Force done but, after that, everything ground to a halt. I did a bit more photography, and made a start unpacking the Binaltech models but, other than that, haven't done a great deal.

I think I may reward myself with an early night, too... The coming week is liable to be a bit of a drag.

I'm hoping to get to Toys'R'Us this week or next, in search of new waves of RotF toys - The Fallen at least, and possibly Leader Class Jetfire.

Must remember to check my finances, of course...
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: