Tuesday 8 April 2008

Change being the only constant...

On the quiet, there have been some positive moves within the barely organised chaos of my workplace.

Well, I say positive, but it is and it isn't...

While the MD is basically the be-all and end-all of the problems with the company, he has correctly identified certain other problems that kind of need solving, though not necessarily for the right reasons. To this end, he put forward an offer - via my boss - to the Senior Copy Controller: two months' pay if he'd leave.

Technically, it's redundancy, but he hasn't quite been around long enough to warrant that much of a pay-off. On the one hand, he deserves it because he's been very good at his job. On the other hand, he kinda doesn't because he's been causing friction within the department, and constantly butts heads - publicly - with the boss.

But while this may be a positive with caveats, it leads quite neatly to making the two Senior Designers redundant. One has barely picked up any advertising in months - on one magazine, he set none and made edits to three - and the other is just disruptive and completely fails to live up to the job description in any way, shape or form. Honestly, to the first person who asks out loud and within earshot "What are we going to do without him?", I shall respond (probably with a sneer) "Act your age, perhaps?"

Meanwhile, part of me* is beginning to regret this whole Chiropractor thing. Sure, my hip has been no trouble for months (apart from a sudden and slight twinge at work today), but being attacked - seemingly at random - with the Vibrating Pad of Doom can be quite painful. My muscles, accustomed to being bunched up, do not wish to relax... and no matter how many times the Chiropractor demands that I "let it go", I maintain that I do not know how.

Kind of a running theme with me, this 'not knowing how to relax'.

In the background, I'm stressing about the flat purchase (which is still moving forward) and trying to get a new job, which is proving more difficult than I'd anticipated... but then, I'm thinking that I probably need to get out of this line of work. I'm really good at it... but it's full of morons. I often find myself wondering if I can truly see myself doing this work in ten years' time, or if I'd rather be... something else.

If only I could pin down what that elusive 'something else' is.

(* usually whatever part hurts like hell for three days afterward)

No comments: