Friday 25 January 2008

A reasonable day

With all the editorial set yesterday and only minor amends needed, today's magazine could have been a record-breaker had it not been for the MD's insistence that the sales team (and Classified) carry on selling beyond the agreed deadlines. Sure, they have to meet targets... but when the MD starts to renege on agreements made about selling time (along with the rest of the steadily mounting pile of bullshit), it really is time to be looking elsewhere.

I understand why... but I don't understand why he doesn't understand why it happens. It really is simple. If the MD actively encourages the booze culture, his Salespeople will not sell because they'll be out drinking with him, believe that to be the path to success. Particularly in the light of some of his bizarre choices for promotion.

It is interesting to note that my senior designer has put in some of his best work (still shoddily done, but looking pretty good) when working from home and - I would say more importantly - under extreme stress because of his mother's illness. I'd put it down to lack of distraction for someone who is very easily distracted. One of the Sales Managers suggested that this made a case for working from home but, as my boss pointed out, it would hardly be fair on everyone else to let him work from home, and solely on Editorial.

In other news, I had a call from the Estate Agent today... asking if I was putting down a massive deposit on the flat. This was based on the conversation I'd had with their Financial Adviser, who basically told them how much of my savings would be going into the purchase. I said that, no, I planned to put down a 5% deposit (which is a lot of money!).

"But you'd be able to put down more if necessary?"

Um. Right. Just as I was beginning to worry less about this whole flat-buying thing, I'm starting to worry that the Estate Agents are going to screw me around over the deposit.

Oh, and my mother found a two bedroom flat on sale in the same area (different block on the same road). Only £20,000 more expensive...

No comments: