Tuesday 1 May 2007

Neither empirical nor anecdotal, for that matter...

A short while ago, back when this year's Budget hit, one of the wags in my department tore off the front page of a newspaper with the headline 'The Gord giveth... ...and the Gord taketh away", referring of course to our esteemed Chancellor of the Exchequer, Mr Brown. More recently, sometime today, to be precise, the page's photo of a grinning Mr Brown was replaced by a picture of me. Smiling.

Where the hell did any of them get a picture of me smiling?

My enquiries were met with oblique responses like "We have our ways and means..."

So anyway. Before I left today, I added a caveat to the bottom of the page:

*NB: There is no empirical evidence to corroborate the claim that 'The Gord giveth'

Let it never be said that I take myself too seriously.

Of course, the Boss asked how many people did I think would understand the word 'empirical'.
"The ones that matter," was my tart retort.

No comments: