Saturday 5 May 2007

Achey

There is a certain pattern to some weekends... I get headaches. Because I never think to track these things and try to properly determine the cause, there are still three possibilities:

1) I don't drink enough water - this could be true any day of the week, because if I get engrossed in something, everything else gets ignored. There have been many occasions, not just at work, when I've missed eating because I've been too busy. Yeah, I know, that just makes me stupid.

2) I don't take in any caffeine - it's an addictive substance, and I certainly used to get serious headaches if I went on a caffeine binge then stopped abruptly... That's why I stopped drinking Coke, etc. These days I drink Diet Coke fairly regularly during the week, so a 'withdrawal' headache over a weekend shouldn't surprise me... except it just doesn't happen every weekend.

3) Somewhat bizarrely, I have noticed that I frequently develop a headache an hour or two after eating fish and chips from whichever local place my folks patronise these days. Again, it's not every time... but I sometimes detect something odd while I'm eating (can't figure out exactly what - it's not the flavour, it's not the texture), and then go on to develop a headache.

Weird.

So, another Doctor Who... and not a terrible episode this time. My main objection would be the hideously overengineered monster. Supposedly some genetic throwback, an evolutionary direction Nature chose to discard but which, nevertheless, remained in potentia... Sorry, folks, it just didn't convince. Sure, the CGI was good... but the monster wasn't remotely believable. The Doctor managed to avoid being shouty for the first time ever, preferring attempts to calmly reason with the mutation... and then kill it off using a Sonic Screwdriver-enhanced church organ. Hum. There was some intrigue, in the form of a mysterious man who claimed to know The Doctor's true identity, so I'm sensing this series' recurring motif. "The Doctor is dangerous... Keep away from him..." Blah. The preview of episodes to come (since we have, in effect, a mid-season break thanks to next weekend's Eurovision Song Contest) featured Captain Jack (hurrah!) and Derek Jacobi in his 'shrouded in mystery' role.

Please, Russell T Davis, let him be The Master.

No comments: