Sunday 7 January 2007

New Year, Same Old Stuff...

Yes, so I'm back at work... Three magazines out in the first week, and all of them on time. I only had one to deal with, but I have another to get done tomorrow... and virtually none of it is ready to go, because the designer took Friday off. Something tells me Monday's going to be a looooong day.

Last week was pretty crappy, on the whole. Almost immediately, I was reminded that I'm working with a bunch of monkeys. One of them pointed to the power switch on a printer and asked me "Is this where it switches on?". Later on, another one reported to me that "The printer says it's offline" and actually had to be told to push the 'online' button. How dense can they possibly be? They even have to be told what to do when the damned things run out of toner... and most still have to be reassured that everything's still OK when the printer warns that toner is low. How can such computer-illiterate people get jobs in this field?

Anyway.

I had intended to post more during the Christmas break, including a few photos of my new stuff... but there hasn't really been enough light to get any decent photography done. Still, there are a few pictures knocking about, and I've now created a Photobucket account to take care of them. So here we go with a little test...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is a photo of one of my Christmas presents - TakaraTomy's TransFormers Masterpiece 3: Starscream. Forget all the fanboy whining about the colourscheme and the lack of die-cast metal. This thing, more than any of the previous Masterpiece models, lives up to the hype. It's truly beautiful, both in robot mode and as a scale model F-15.

I also have my new Ikea cabinet arranged mostly how I want it. Here are the most recent photos, some of which aren't up to date anymore, as of today ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Reissues and specials, including THS-01 and 02, Takara Reissues Perceptor and Broadcast (with Steeljaw barely visible next to him), e-Hobby Detritus and Cobalt Sentry (Howlback and Garboil) and Tigertrack. I've since added some Hasbro Generation 1 reissues: Inferno, Prowl, Red Alert and Tracks.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Masterpiece 1 Convoy and Masterpiece 3 Starscream

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
UK Primus, Japanese Vector Prime, Japanese EZ Galaxy Convoy (came with Megalo Convoy) and UK Legends of Cybertron Galvatron

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Armada Unicron, his Mini-Con Dead End, and Armada Laserbeak. I've since added Cybertron Unicron to this shelf... he makes an interesting comparison to the older, larger model.

With any luck, I'll be able to get more images up soon... when the weather improves.

In other news, I went to the Science Museum's 'The History of Videogames' exhibition... It's a lot of fun, in that it's several rooms full of videogames old and new... but it's also somewhat typical of Science Museum exhibitions, in that it doesn't really give you any depth. It's quite a random selection of examples, with very little of the actual history of videogames. More of a retro arcade than a true retrospective. Still, I did get to play Tennis on Wii... it's simple, but fun, and almost feels like you're playing the real thing.

I'm almost tempted to get a Wii...

There's loads more I should write about, but I can't be bothered right now. Soon, though...

No comments: