Tuesday 3 January 2012

Bedraggled

I kid thee not, dear reader, when I say I've just spent less than two minutes outside (long enough to take my rubbish out and rearrange the bins) and experienced a deluge of nearly Biblical proportions. I literally could not see to the end of the short range of shops I live above because of the walls of water I had to wade through to get back inside.

OK, some of it was run-off from the roof (it gives you an idea of how heavy the rain was when you realise it had almost entirely bypassed the guttering, and yet the drain for the gutters still looked like a waterfall), but some of it was simply rainfall.

Supernaturally strong rainfall, to be sure, but rainfall just the same.

I am sincerely glad that it's still not cold enough for this to be snow, because snow that heavy would probably end up being a couple of feet deep, even in this grim, suburban setting, and that would be pretty terrifying.

I had planned to pop over to Harrow today, but now I'm going to stay indoors... possibly venturing outside again to pick up the bins which, I see through my window, must have been strewn down the road only moments after I dumped my rubbish, and are now lying on their sides against the kerbside railings.

No comments: