Tuesday 18 November 2008

Familiar (as in derivative) Dreams

Imagine, if you will, a stately home on a large hill (or mountain). The house is owned by a disgraced superhero, occupied only by himself and his ever-loyal butler. Surrounding the house is an artificial moat. Not a large one... more of an inconvenience than an outright deterrent to would-be invaders. Plus it's empty of anything but algae and the sludge that accrues in such places. The butler asks either if the drawbridge (such as it is) should be lowered, or if it would be acceptable to leave the moat drained... I'm not quite sure about that detail.

This evening, he has invited over four friends... Each of whom happens to be a superhero, and each of whom played a part in his disgrace.

Before they arrive, the butler remarks to his master how lovely it will be to have company for a change. "Happy Human-things", he says, as one might say 'happy birthday'. His master merely glares at him in silence.

The four heroes arrive one by one - each by unconventional means, and in their superhero costumes - and, when the arrive in the entrance hall, they are illuminated by what could easily be some kind of targetting system - orange circles, dancing red lines, that kind of thing. They introduce themselves to each other... by explaining the part they played in their host's downfall. "I stopped him blowing up the city", "I stopped him poisoning the air", "I stopped his Death Ray Satellite", that sort of thing.

I woke up around the time the third arrival started telling his story, which is a real shame. If it weren't so derivative, it would have been a really cool story. It reminded me of Watchmen... Hell, I think a Doc Manhattan clone appeared in one flashback! I seem to recall that the idea of the invite was much the same as in Watchmen - to announce that his latest plan was already in action, and there was no way even the four of them could stop him this time. Shame he never got to deliver his monologue.

In the real world - as much as work could be considered 'real world', the record for latest night in the office has been broken by my team (oh the shame of it), and now stands at 9.30pm, largely because one particular Salesman didn't bother sorting out his feature sales. At 5.30, he was still chasing copy. While my team are understandably rather pissed off, I am at least glad that the problem wasn't ours except by default.

The salesman in question announced at around 8pm that he needed to go home to his daughter. I turned to his manager and added "Because obviously the rest of us don't have social lives". He had the good sense to apologise. Towards the end of the evening, he decided that, next month, he wouldn't sell features. His manager informed him that wasn't an option. I really wish he gets fired... but I doubt it somehow. Too many morons get second chances... then third... then fourth... until it just gets ridiculous.

My kitchen is basically done, though, so that's a good thing. I'll be arranging an official viewing (I popped over before and after work today just to have a quick shufty), final payment and handover of keys for tomorrow. Aside from the few glitches in the last few days, I'm very happy with the end result. It looks like my kitchen, which is quite significant.

Also significant is that my bin has been nicked. There goes another £35 to the Council.

Still haven't received my Memorabilia tickets... which is a little worrying, considering it's this weekend. Still, I only ordered them last week, and I'd imagine they do these things in batches.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: