Wednesday 12 November 2014

Another Wacky Dream Involving My Flat

OK, so my plan to write about my recent holiday over the course of the following week was probably doomed to failure before I even conceived it, but it was worth a try... Part two is in the works but, in the meantime, here's what I remember about a rather strange dream I had last night.

It started with me - and, I believe, my girlfriend - house-sitting in a fairly large, very strangely laid-out house. No idea whose it was or why we were house-sitting, but I remember feeling somewhat grateful about the arrangement... at least until we started exploring.

Most of the house was garishly colourful, massively spacious and opulently furnished. In the lounge, we learned that, due to some unspecified problem with the enormous widescreen television, it was projecting its picture onto the adjoining wall, which was somehow transparent as I could see the picture from another room.

There seemed to be no shortage of bedrooms, though, and while most of them seemed bright, welcoming and comfortable, the first one I happened upon could easily have been a large cupboard. It was furnished as if for a child and, being in the centre of the house (as far I could tell based on my exploration) it had no windows. This, coupled with the soft toys strewn on the floor, made the room feel rather creepy - as if the child was hidden away in this room for some sinister reason - and I was keen to get out of it as quickly as possible.

The house share didn't last long, however, as the dream quickly shifted into a version of my own flat that had fallen into decay. It was like an alternate homecoming after the holiday, where heavy rains had leaked into every room. Some of the furniture was missing and the lounge carpet was covered in blooms of mould where water had dripped down from the ceiling.

It's interesting timing for this sort of thing, considering there has been a small measure of progress on my roof. Well, I say 'progress' but what I actually mean is there's another temporary fix in place, with a 'plan' to renew at least part of the roof in the spring of next year... That's a whole different blog post (which is also in progress but incomplete, and so will probably appear at some ridiculously out-of-context point in the future), but the temporary fix appears to be working - we've had some quite heavy rain, but all three affected areas have thusfar remained dry, and I haven't been disturbed by 3am streams of water in the bedroom or the irregular thud of water dripping onto the ceilings and then into a plastic bowl...

No comments: